December 11, 2008

40 days and 40 nights

Flooded street, La Ceiba, HondurasWhite caps in the street
La Ceiba, Honduras

Flooded street, La Ceiba, HondurasIt feels like it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights, even though we did get a break this week and had nice warm, sunny weather. (This street corner photo and the one at top are from last month, by El Jefe.)

That was a nice change from this incredible rainy season we have had this year − worse than any in the seven years that I've been here. I felt like spring had arrived. I was thinking about starting some vegetable seeds.

Flooded street, La Ceiba, HondurasToday, however, was the worst day ever. We have received 12 inches (30.5 cm) of rain since early this morning! And it is still raining.

Don't worry about us. Our house is elevated and sitting at the top of a hill with a creek way below us in back and streets sloping away from our house on two sides so no problems for us except the leaking windows, wet drapes and carpets. We haven't even had any trees fall down which often happens when we have heavy rain.


Trash endangering bridge, La Ceiba, HondurasBUT, the flooding has been devastating in some areas around La Ceiba. I've been watching the news all day and many, many people have been flooded out of their homes, many homes have been destroyed, and though not an official report, citizens have reported several drownings to the television stations.

Boy saving his dog,  La Ceiba, HondurasYou have to see the flooding to believe it so I did the hokey, low-tech way of videoing the news. I had a couple of hours which I edited down to three 6-minute videos. Still too long, but if you are interested in La Ceiba, you might watch them all. Part III is probably the best one if you only have time for one.

You had better hurry, though, because YouTube frowns on videoing TV programs and might remove them. I don't know if that applies to Honduran news or not so we will see. I hope I don't get into trouble! I'm only trying to provide a service to those who can't receive Honduran television − at least that is what I'll tell the judge. ;-)


La Ceiba, Honduras, Tropical Storm, Part I:




La Ceiba, Honduras, Tropical Storm, Part II:



La Ceiba, Honduras, Tropical Storm, Part III:

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...