February 11, 2008

Catch of the day: White lobster

Drug trafficking, La Mosquitia, HondurasLa Mosquitia, Photo: La Prensa, Honduras

While looking a Digg.com yesterday, I ran across an article about Bluefields, Nicaragua. Wondering what about Nicaragua would make the first page of Digg, of course I took a look.

In-cray-ee-blay, as we say in Honduras! (Incredible!) Here is a town full of rich Miskito Indians built on bales of cocaine (white lobster) fished out of the ocean.

Bob the helicopter pilot, former resident of the island of Guanaja, Honduras, told me about this
phenomenon, and I wrote about about it happening in La Mosquitia, but I don't think that it has gotten to this extent in Honduras yet.

We have a lot of speculation about drug money and money laundering
in La Ceiba, too. The amount of construction going on right now is probably more than I noticed in my first five years put together. Since this is a country where only the criminal or corrupt can really get ahead, the speculation is natural.

I don't doubt that there is some of that criminal activity, probably a lot of that. There are two empty houses in our neighborhood that are said to be owned by drug dealers. Another home was involved in a drug raid not long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to hear some of that same speculation about little ole dog-loving, chicken-raising, tortilla-making, corn-growing, yogurt-incubating, curtain-sewing
La Gringa, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

If you aren't poor, you are suspicious. ;-)

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...