February 3, 2007

La Gringa had a visitor today

Honduran milk snakeHonduran milk snake

When the workers found this snake, it was already dead. They think that the chickens killed it. My little chickies? I'm not sure about that, but maybe.

After more than two hours of research, I'm proud to give you the name: Tangerine Honduran milk snake, Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis. Imagine that − finding a Honduran milk snake in Honduras.

I was mainly interested in whether or not it was venomous. It wasn't. Everyone always wants to kill every snake they find. I'm trying to convince them that not all snakes are bad but I'm not having much success.

We found two snakes last year that I still haven't been able to identify. They were well over six feet long (2 m.) and at least 2 inches in diameter (5 cm.), black with thin yellowish vee-shaped markings. One of them was hiding in our garage. Needless to say, these both met the fate of the machete without too much arguing from me.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...