September 26, 2006

Toucan pictures


One good thing happened today. Well, two counting getting my blog back from "Beta hell," as Gardener in Mexico put it, but I count that as only canceling out the bad thing of losing my blog Sunday night. I was downloading some photos from the camera and found that El Jefe (the boss) had gotten some great pictures of the toucans.

You can't know how exciting this is for me. Toucans have been coming to some Miconia trees that grow wild on our hill as well as some of the trees surrounding our yard for 5 years, but we've never been able to get one single picture.

This is a tree across the street from our house. All kinds of birds love this poor old tree. Ordinarily we can't get a good picture because of the foliage. This little guy was kind enough to give El Jefe a profile.


Here are three toucans. If you enlarge the picture (by clicking on it), you can see another one looking in the other direction behind the toucan to the right. Aren't they wonderful?

Even Ceibeños are impressed to see the toucans here because they just aren't seen that much in residential areas. Several workers from across the street gathered around to watch them. Maybe it is the no-chemical use that attracts the birds.



I've marked five toucans in this picture. You'll just have to take my word for it. :-) I know the picture isn't detailed enough to really see them.

When our Miconia trees have berries, the toucans come almost everyday at 4 p.m., never earlier. I don't know where they go during the day, but we always see them between 4 and 5 p.m. They are creatures of habit.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...