September 27, 2006

Geckos - Our other household members

This little gecko was hiding behind my spice rack. He was in plain view, of course, until I ran to get the camera. Every time the flash went off, he found a new hiding place.

I won't call him a visitor like I did the scorpion. He and several of his family are permanent indoor residents. I don't mind. Geckos eat insects and that's a good thing because we have plenty of insects in the tropics. And it is a good thing that I don't mind because it is virtually impossible to keep them out. They come into the house from between the windows and the screens and under the doors.

I've seen some babies as small as about 1/2 inch (1 cm.). The largest I've seen is about 4 inches (10 cm.). I think we have both geckos and anoles. One type is longer and thinner and the other is more chunky looking. I'm pretty sure this is a gecko, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We also see iguanas of up to 3 feet (1 m.) in the trees in the yard and another type of medium-sized lizard that seems to run on its back legs seeking insects in the vegetable beds. Luckily these larger ones aren't interested in coming into the house. I'm not sure I would be so tolerant of them.


I often see a gecko lurking under the upper kitchen cabinets in the evening. I think it is because the undercounter lights attract flying insects so it is sort of a gecko-buffet at night. Other times they sit clinging to the upper part of the wall or even on the ceilings. It is amazing how quickly they can climb a wall. It's also amazing to watch how quickly they move when they are catching insects.

It can be a little disconcerting when you catch sight of something out of the corner of your eye flashing across the wall. But better a gecko than a cockroach, right? We don't have any of those!
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...